Automobile Insurance

The University maintains automobile liability and property damage coverage for all University owned, rented or leased vehicles.

This page provides basic coverage information regarding the University's automobile insurance coverage. It should not be relied on for policy interpretation. Any specific questions should be referred to Risk Management Services at (940) 565-2109.

University Driver Requirements

As a state entity, UNT has an obligation and responsibility to ensure employees using automobiles for state business are appropriately licensed and safe drivers.  In order for an employee to be an approved driver they must be provided with a University Driver Requirements and Request Form.  The Driver Request Form, must be completed and signed by both the employee and the employee's supervisor and be hand delivered to the Risk Management Services office or faxed to 940-565-4919.

Accident/Claims Reporting

Any UNT employee involved in an accident while operating a university-owned vehicle must report the accident immediately to Risk Management Services.

At the scene of an accident, the University Driver should call 911 and complete the RMS Vehicle Accident Report Form located in the glovebox along with the insurance card.  This form must be returned to Risk Management Services within 24 hours of the accident occurring.

Automobile Insurance Identification Cards

Many states require proof of financial responsibility in case of an accident. A current automobile insurance ID card should be placed in each vehicle driven on University business in the glove box. Contact Risk Management Services to obtain an automobile insurance ID card if one is not available.

Rented and Leased Vehicle Coverage

Car rental agencies may require verification of insurance coverage and may request a Certificate of Insurance. The University's automobile policy will provide liability coverage when a rented or leased vehicle is driven by an authorized person on University business.  The UNT System Business Service Center (BSC) has contracted with Corporate Travel Planners (CTP) to serve as the preferred vendor for advance travel planning. Direct billing for rental cars is provided through CTP for Avis, Budget, Enterprise and National.  For questions regarding travel planning, call the BSC at 940-369-5500 or via email to

Personal Vehicles Used for University Business

For staff, faculty and students using their personal vehicle on University business, the vehicle owner's insurance policy provides the insurance coverage.