The mission of the Asbestos Program is to protect the UNT community and their physical and environmental health from asbestos exposure. Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral found in many buildings and building materials on campus and does not pose a health risk when it is intact.
Please fill out a request for inspection if someone in your area needs to cut, sand, grind, abrade or otherwise disturb any building materials, hang pictures, secure furniture or work in the space above the ceiling tiles. Risk Management Services will work with Facilities to ensure any surfaces that may contain asbestos material will only be disturbed by trained personnel.
Submit a new Asbestos Request for Inspection
How do I know if I need to request an asbestos inspection?
If you are disturbing any material in a campus building that may contain asbestos, you must request an asbestos inspection at least 3 weeks prior to the start of work. This includes any renovation or demolition of the following materials:
- Joint Compound
- Ceiling Tiles
- Thermal System Insulation (TSI) - pipes, pipe fittings, insulation wraps, etc.
- Spray-on Soundproofing
- Spray-on Fireproofing
- Spray-on Insulation
- Carpet and/or Carpet Mastic
- Floor Tile and/or Floor Tile Mastic
- Caulk, Sealant, Waterproofing, etc.
- Ductwork and/or Ductwork Mastic
- Cooler/Cold Room Insulation
- Fume Hood Panels
- Laboratory Benchtops
- Any building material not composed entirely of wood, metal, concrete, glass, or plastic