As a state entity, UNT has an obligation and responsibility to ensure employees using automobiles for state business are appropriately licensed and safe drivers. 

In order for an employee to become an approved driver they must complete UNT's Driver Request Forms and receive approval from our office. Please follow all instructions on the Driver Request Forms page. Note: Employees possessing an international license must first obtain a Texas driver's license, prior to submitting a Driver Request Form.

University drivers must read the Operation of University Vehicles Policy (15.008)

By submitting an application, an individual authorizes UNT to obtain the applicant's Motor Vehicle Report, MVR.  Our staff will evaluate the MVR to determine if the applicant will be approved to operate a university vehicle or mobile equipment.

University-owned Vehicles

The University maintains automobile liability and collision coverage for all University owned, rented or leased vehicles.

Employees who are approved drivers are encouraged to use a university vehicle for university business.  For faculty, staff and students using their personal vehicle on University business, the vehicle owner's insurance policy provides the insurance coverage. Additional guidelines can be found on the UNT Policy website, Operation of University Vehicles Policy (15.008).

The UNT auto insurance card can be found on the Forms page under the Insurance and Claims section.

In order to add a vehicle to the auto insurance policy, you must use the link below. Vehicles must be added if coverage or insurance is required.

Add a Vehicle

Rented and Leased Vehicles

The University's automobile policy will provide liability coverage when a rented or leased vehicle is driven by an authorized person on University business. 

UNT System Business Support Services (BSS) has contracted with Corporate Travel Planners (CTP) to serve as the preferred vendor for advance travel planning. Through the University of Texas System Contract, discounted rates for transportation services are available for University of North Texas (UNT) for business use. Find information on those discounted rates here.

CTP is the UNT System's preferred travel agency. Please see this page for more information on how to contact CTP and use the Concur system to book travel or rental vehicles. If a rental car is not reserved through CTP, the vehicle should be rented under the state contract and not an individual's name when an approved driver is on University business.

Reporting a UNT vehicle accident

When an accident occurs:

Call Police - For accidents on campus, call  (940) 565-3000. For accidents off campus, call 911.

Call Risk Management Services at (940) 565-2109.

• Note specific damage to all vehicles and/or property involved. Take pictures of all four sides of the UNT vehicle, along with the odometer reading and vehicle identification number, if possible.

• DO NOT make any statements about the accident to anyone without first notifying our staff.

• Fully complete the Vehicle Accident Report (also found on the Forms page) to the best of your ability.