Additional Waste Types

Unknown Chemical Waste

If your lab discovers unknown chemicals or samples, please submit a hazardous waste pick-up request. Fill out the form to the best of your ability with the information about the bottle(s) or sample(s). Please label as “unknown chemicals or samples” and take a picture of them and attach it to the form.

In order to prevent unknown chemicals or samples, please make sure that all lab personnel are labeling all containers, samples, flasks, vials, etc. Use chemical names, no abbreviations or codes. All lab personnel should dispose of their samples and chemicals that will not be used when they are leaving or graduating. Please see Graduating Lab Personnel for more information on this topic.

Contaminated labware

Labware contaminated with hazardous chemicals is considered solid hazardous waste. Labware includes Kimwipes, paper towels, plastic pipettes, etc. These can be collected in a solid hazardous waste container, labeled with its contents, and a hazardous waste pickup request can be submitted once full. Contaminated labware does NOT include uncontaminated containers/vials, sharps (needles or razor blades), pipette tips with no chemical residue, Kimwipes with no chemical residue, paper towels with no chemical residue, and PPE.

Compressed Gas

Compressed gas cylinders should be returned to the original manufacturer or distributer. Submit a hazardous waste pickup request for lecture bottles.

Peroxide Forming Chemical Disposal Requirements

If not stored properly, some solvents can form peroxides (ex: tetrahydrofuran). See Information on Peroxide Forming Chemicals, if more information is needed. Submit a hazardous waste pickup request for:

  • If a peroxide forming chemical tests for close to or ABOVE 50 PPM, please contact RMS for disposal.
  • If a peroxide forming chemical tests ABOVE 100 PPM, contact RMS immediately for assistance - do NOT touch or move the chemical container.
    • Crystals are visible in or on container or lid,
    • There is visible cloudiness or precipitation in container,
    • container is class A and past expiration date,
    • or class B or class C and has been unopened for more than 1 year and has not been tested

Additional Waste Streams

  • Radioactive Waste (contact the Radiation Safety Officer)
  • Biohazardous Waste (contact the Biosafety Officer)
  • Any broken glass waste should go into broken glass cardboard containers. Contaminated glassware (like vials) should be clean of any chemical residue prior to being placed in glass waste (rinsed with appropriate solvent, and rinse-ate would go into appropriate liquid waste).
    • Plastic caps of vials should NOT go into glass waste.
  • For chemically contaminated sharps with no infectious or bio-hazardous contamination: store in a rigid (hard plastic) container with a lid or top that can be sealed with tape.
  • Submit a hazardous waste pick up for
    • batteries of all kinds,
    • elemental mercury and mercury-containing equipment (MCE),
      • MCE includes thermostats, barometers, manometers, thermometers, temperature and pressure gauges, mercury switches, mercury-containing lamps, and various medical devices. 
    • paint and paint-related wastes,
    • lamps (fluorescent lights, mercury vapor lamps, high-pressure sodium lamps, metal-halide lamps), and incandescent lamps),
    • pesticides/fertilizers,
    • and aerosol cans. 
  • Electronic Wastes comprise items such as cell phones, computers/monitors, keyboards, cameras, DVD players/recorders, TVs, surge protectors, etc.  It should be noted that some electronic wastes are the property of UNT and must have certificates of destruction in order to be picked up.  Items that are university assets must be managed through your department's designated inventory coordinator. RMS does not pick up electronic wastes considered assets.  Please contact UNT Surplus for pick up and removal.
Chemical Hygene Plan - Table of Contents